Friday, May 05, 2006

Police dignity = RM10

On my way to work this morning, I was stopped by 2 policemen in their normal blue colour uniform with a "Saya Anti Rasuah" badge pin to the uniform on the right chest. I was stopped because I was going on the other direction of a one-way street which hundreds of people do everyday. That's why it don't seems to be wrong by doing so and I had been doing it for more than 6 months now.

By the way, the conversation goes like this:

Policeman : Tunjuk lesen dengan IC. You tau sini tak leh masuk punye tak?

Me : Tak tau lah bang.

Policeman : Sana tu ade signboard "No Entry", tak nampak ke? Kat kereta sana tu.

Me : Ya ke? (Pretending to be ignorance) Ah la, tak nampak ler bang.

Policeman : Tak pe ler, jadi sekrang nak saman ke? (Being a policeman, while holding my license and Identity Card, he's asking me whether he should issue a summons, what do you think he's asking for?)

Me : Tak leh bagi chance ke bang?

Policeman : Cam mana nak saya bagi chance, you cakap ler.

Me : Ermm... I tinggal RM10 je ler (of coz I have more, but more = give more).

Policemen : RM10 je?

Me : Ye, I kena pergi ATM nanti. (Means I will have to go to the ATM once I give him the RM10)

Policeman : Esshhh.... Tak yah, tak yah gi ATM (mistakenly thought that I would go to the atm to withdraw more money for him). Ok, skrang u masuk kreta dulu.

I went into my drive seat.

Policeman : Selit dalam ini (While handling me the whole book of summons statement) . Kalau bayar saman banyak susah, jadi saya tolong u, u tolong saya.

I slit the RM10 note into the whole summons receipt book, hand it to him and sped off continuing to go against the direction as he said it's ok to do so now.


I'm ready to receive a summon if he's ready to issue me one, but from the conversation, you know what's he asking for. So common sense is, I would rather pay RM10 than RM150.

They are so good at playing this game now that they won't ask for it, but they hint you for it. This is because if they are, they are liable for bribery. But if we offer, we are the one liable. This is why it's so hard to bring these people to justice.

So, now you see how much the so called the Policeman's dignity cost.

So while I was driving, I thought of an idea that might be able to discourage policemen accepting bribe and the public offering it as well.

Suggestion:

  1. Government should fine the public who offer bribery to the policemen at least 2 times more than they would be fined on the violation.
  2. Out of the 2 times fine, the policeman who reported the bribery will be given a commission of 30% - 50%. This means the policeman will get much better incentive than the public would give as bribery.

This suggestion would definitely force the public to accept the fine rather than bribe the policemen because if you got caught violating traffic rules, you will be fined RM150 but if you were caught offering bribes, you will end up paying 2 x RM150 = RM300.

Meanwhile, this encourages the policemen to report bribery because the commission they get out of it is definitely much lucrative than the bribe they get (RM10). e.g. 30% of RM300 = RM90.

Just an idea to toy around. How does this sounds?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strange how you formulate a method to discourage bribery, when just above, you did exactly that. Bribe. Blaming the police? They didn't ask you for the money, you didnt have to bribe them.

"it's so hard to bring these people to justice." I say, its so hard for people to admit that they made a mistake.

"So, now you see how much the so called the Policeman's dignity cost" I say, it cost you only RM10 to divert from the path of honesty.

Go figure