Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Shakened Malaysia's Multi-racialism

When I was blog-hopping today, I stumble upon this article written in BBC through Suanie's blog entry. It is an article on how Malaysia's harmony has been shakened by the recent country's leaders.


"The country has a far better record of multicultural harmony than most of its neighbours."

I agree with this, but that was years ago. When the country started to look so significantly into the Muslims' rights, we lost the balance. My parents who used to owned a garment factory has had so many Malays working for us during those years. Until the day my parents closed down the factory, the Malay lady (Kak Fatimah) who has been doing the ironing for us has already worked with us for 20 years, while a widower to raise her 3 sons. She came in and worked with us since the year my sister was born. She's like a very close family friend that had seen the journey of me, my brother and my sister's growth from the time when pebbles still seems like sweets to us, until today, when money seems like everything to us.

It's kind of sad when the "rakyat" (people) can live harmoniously but the leaders are the ones that keep fueling us to live inharmoniously with each other by drawing a real clear line on what the muslims must do and must not do with the other races.

As the day I started working in this company, I have so many Malay and Indian colleagues whom some of them have today become very close friends of mine of which we can speak to each other about anything and everything openly.

This is what we called "understanding", and NOT "tolerance", which was taught in our Pendidikan Moral subject which I still find it "intolerable" until today.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not here to fuse up a religious fued or something. It's just so sad that the people of the country are being fueled by the leaders of the country to go against their friends from other races when they can be like a family.


p/s: To all my multi-racial friends and colleagues, please don't give a damn on these political bargers, long live our friendships.

1 comment:

Hele said...

This is what we get when we vote not for policies but for the skin colour of our politicians.
Our leaders will continue playing the race card and now the religion card and continue to segregate us, the people, because as long as they're making their money, who the hell cares about harmony, rite?
As long as we continue to have right-wing, close minded conservatives, we'll never progress. Call ourselves a developed country indeed.