Friday, March 14, 2008

Dictionary.com is Sexist

Recently, a colleague of mine (Mei) accidently stumble on how Dictionary.com in it's Thesaurus define "weaker". This is probably some kind of joke by the programmer. But I don't think it's funny at all. Try it and you shall see what I mean.


I tried to paste a clearer "print screen in here" but the limited picture size in blogspot is limiting the clarity of the picture. So, to see the sexist definition, please click here.

p/s: Now Mei is against using Dictionary.com

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What the....

How can they actually have such a glitch?! Furthermore they are such reputable site for the general public to access, they should do something to it!

aboo said...

Don't you think it's too coincident for it to be a glitch?

Anonymous said...

That is ridiculous! I found your article when I Googled 'dictionary.com is sexist' after finding a similar if perhaps not as bad entry under their definition for 'sexism' which states "discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex, as in restricted job opportunities; esp., such discrimination directed against women."
I don't understand how they can make such badly worded mistakes, the site has a responsibility to be concise and unbiased, unbelievable!

aboo said...

I'm quite sure if some human rights group from more liberal countries found out about this, the website would be sued.