Sunday, March 02, 2008

Mum and Dad

Went back to Batu Pahat over the weekend. Saw my dad who is home alone for about 2 weeks now. He has had Parkinson Disease since I was in Form 3. I've been worried about him being home alone for these past 2 weeks. But seeing how he is able to handle stuff alone at home, my heart feel at ease. He mentioned how he is so accustomed to his own daily routine that he's trying to figure out whether he can break it, coz he found his medication kinda react to his routine mindset. What I mean?

With Parkinson Disease, dad's right half of the body, including hands and legs tremble and he basically lose 70% of strength to control them. Hence he's dependent on the drug prescribed by the doctor to refrain the tremble and to achieve at least 70% of strength. But things about drugs, after a certain time of taking it the effect it has slowly diminish. So, the first time dad took the medicine, it helps his movement for about 5 hours, but now it diminishes to about 3 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening. So, about reacting to the routine mindset part, my dad thought if he don't know that it's been 3 hours since the took the drug, the effect of the drug might not diminish in exactly 3 hours but longer. Anyhow, it's kind of a nice project for him to do since he's quite boring at home.

It's been exactly 2 weeks since mum left for New Zealand to work. I probably haven't feel much different, since I don't go home so often since I started my working phase of life. But I'm sure it will kick in sooner or later. I haven't really wanted to talk about her decision to go work in NZ before. Probably it's because although her reason to do that is to lessen our burden by earning her own sum of money, but to me it doesn't make any different by rather make the situation worse by leaving dad alone at home. That's because me and my sis have to call dad even more often and visit home at least once a month. Not to say, the constant worry of dad who is 3.5 hours away if (touch wood) anything happen.

It's been a struggle for me over this. But come to think of this, mum deserve her own adventure and happiness. Probably this is her only chance (while dad still can take care of himself) to go out and have her adventure in some foreign country, that I think she might have wanted to do when she was younger. I know this because of her forever encouragement to go work overseas and see the world. Anyhow, she will be back in a year time. Although her initial 2 weeks in NZ wasn't as expected as described by the agent who sent them there, I'm sure her strong self with the support of her best friend who is there with her, she will start to enjoy her experience there in a few more weeks.

So now, being a son I need to think in my mum's favour that she needs to have her own adventure to continue her life and I should support her. As for dad, like I have told him, we just have to make do with the best we can right now.

No comments: