Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Responsible TV

I'm like back to my childhood and teenage years with all the ever exciting tv dramas and series. All made in Singapore. This is where I learnt my great mandarin from, which some of friends and colleagues praised that it's unbelievable that I don't even know how to read and write Chinese.

All the marketing and preview of the everyday's drama makes the viewers even more eager to follow up with the drama. I must admit, Malaysian TV has been improving ever since NTV7 came into action. This natural competition obviously forced TV3 to improve their way of broadcasting and then come their secret weapon 8TV (which I must say, is impressive).

However, all these are not enough. Their way of marketing their dramas and series is way outdated. Try rewind and think, "Desperate Housewives" preview/trailer has always been the same one even since the series itself has yet to start until now. As for Singapore TV, once you finish "Desperate Housewives", the preview of next week's episode is already up. It makes you drool =)~~~ and can't wait for the next episode to come. The preview will be showed every now and then until the next episode comes and the latest one is updated and viewed again until the next week. How about that huh?

Other than that, is the responsible broadcaster of Singapore, MediaCorp. Every subtitle is accurate in spelling and grammar. Not to say the language they use in the programmes. You all might be wondering, how about "Phua Chu Kang". When it first came out in Singapore, the Singlish used was well accepted as it was very local. But before the first season end, the government of Singapore thought that the grammar used in the sitcom is misleading and might be a bad example for the younger generation. Hence MediaCorp rewrote their script without the Singlish, but definitely still with the Singaporean English accent. Which I think it's still educative.

When I say the TV Advertisement today, I too found it more meaningful than what you can get in Malaysian tv. Most of the ads brings out the feeling that you appreciate the ads as for the content, they put in thoughts for all people. They don't only advertise to sell their stuffs, but their ads always bring out the moral and heart-warming part which reminds us of how much we have forgetten (families, love ones, once the closest friends) when we get too busy with our day to day life (work, peers, plays).

For the time being, I will still have to put up with the Malaysian tv. What to do?

No comments: